Cinnamon Meringue Cookies are a naturally low fat sweet treat with a spicy kick. I love to make these for Valentine’s Day treats, Christmas party foods, Christmas cookie swaps, or just anytime I want a low fat sweet treat.
Affiliate Links are included. Commissions from these links help to support this blog. Thank you.
Cinnamon meringue cookies need to be kept in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag, but I don’t think these will last long enough to worry about how to keep them. You don’t actually bake meringues as much as you use the oven to dry them out so they require some time in the oven (like 2-3 hours), but no real work. These are incredibly easy to make.
I start by crushing cinnamon hard candies. I usually use a food processor or mini chopper. A Ziploc bag and a rolling pin can also do the trick. Next, I line a pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and preheat my oven to 180°.
Get the sugar ready and measured before doing anything else. Once you need it, you won’t want to stop to measure. At this point, I carefully separate eggs saving the egg whites only. I place the egg whites into a glass bowl and beat them until they are frothy. I add the salt and cream of tartar and continue beating. The egg whites will become thick. If I turn the beaters off and lift them up, they will leave little peaks behind that somewhat resemble a Dr. Seuss mountain peak, an elf’s shoe, or a Bugles chip. You can kind of see the peaks in the pictures of the final product.
Once I see those peaks, I slowly add the sugar while beating. Be careful not to pour the sugar directly onto the beaters because it will cause a mess. Once all the sugar is incorporated, the meringue will be glossy. I simply use a spoon to drop dollops of meringue onto my prepared baking sheet. Now, I sprinkle them generously with the crushed cinnamon candies.
Bake at 180°F for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until they are completely dried out. Allow them to cool then carefully remove the aluminum foil or parchment paper from the meringues. They will need to be stored in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag.
Are you ready to make some Cinnamon Meringue Cookies? Check out the recipe below!
- Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Crushed Cinnamon Hard Candies
- In a mini chopper or food processor, crush cinnamon candy into small pieces or into a powder.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Measure out the sugar now so you will have it ready when you need it.
- Separate two egg whites.
- In a glass bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites.
- Beat until soft peaks form when you lift the beater
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites until all combined and glossy with stiff peaks.
- Spoon or pipe the meringues onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle generously with the crushed cinnamon candy.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until completely dry.
- Allow to cool
- Carefully remove the meringues from the aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Serve and Enjoy!
That’s it! Pretty easy, right?