Creamed Spinach is one of my mother’s favorite side dishes so I just knew that I had to find an easy, but still delicious, recipe for family get-togethers and gatherings. This creamed spinach recipe is good enough to accompany any holiday meal while still being easy enough for a hectic weeknight dinner.
Affiliate links are included. Commissions from these links help to support this blog. Thank you!
The frozen chopped spinach needs to be thawed and squeezed dry. Coffee filters or paper towels in a colander or strainer work well for this. I lined the colander with a paper towel and poured the frozen spinach onto the paper towel. I ran cold water over it to speed up the thawing a bit. Once it seems to be thawed, I used a second paper towel to squeeze the excess water out of it. This is easily the most difficult step, but it is not difficult at all.
When I made my creamed spinach, I got lazy with the butter. Of course, I had NOT softened the butter in advance and decided not to melt it. Instead, I cut the butter into small chunks. A quick stir before serving ensured that the butter was evenly spread throughout.
I just tossed everything into a cold slow cooker. The spinach, eggs, ricotta, cream cheese, butter cut into chunks, minced garlic, salt and pepper all went into the slow cooker. I stirred them together well then sprinkled some freshly grated Parmesan cheese over it all. The creamed spinach was cooked on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 1-3 hours. Once cooked, I gave it another good stir to make sure everything was well-combined (especially the butter…*blush*).
Add some more freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top either before or after serving… or BOTH! Can you really have too much Parmesan cheese? I don’t think so.
Are you ready to make some creamed spinach? Check out the recipe below!
- 1 Bag of Frozen Spinach (32 oz)
- 3 Eggs (large)
- 1 Container Ricotta (32 oz)
- 1 Brick Cream Cheese (8 oz)
- 1/2 Stick Butter (4 TBSP)(softened... or cut into chunks if you forgot to soften like me)
- 3 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Grated Parmesan over the top plus some for each serving if desired
- Thaw & Squeeze frozen spinach until mostly dry.
- Add thawed & squeezed spinach, eggs, ricotta, cream cheese, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Stir all ingredients until well mixed.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan.
- Cook in slow cooker on low 4-6 hours or on high 1-3 hours.
- Once cooked, stir again.
- Serve with more freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.