When my son had his wisdom teeth pulled a few months ago, I made a big pot of mac and cheese because the oral surgeon recommended soft foods. Since then, my boys have requested mac and cheese for dinner often. I don’t make mac and cheese as a dinner regularly, but this comfort food certainly makes a visit to my dinner menu every once in a while, and this simple mac and cheese recipe could not be much easier.
Affiliate links are included. Commissions from these links help to support this blog. Thank you.
Since I have two teenage boys, I make an enormous pot. This recipe can easily be cut in half (or even quarters).
I start with 4 cups of dry macaroni. I cook them according to package directions with salt until they have reached my desired consistency while being careful not to overcook them.
Once the macaroni is cooked, I strain the water off. I set it aside because the cheese sauce comes together really quickly.
In a sauce pan, I pour 2 cups of heavy cream on medium heat. I add a 1 lb bag of shredded cheddar (this is about 4 cups according to the bag). I add salt and pepper to taste being particularly generous with the salt.
I cook this cheese sauce stirring continuously until it is thoroughly blended and combined adjusting the salt and pepper as I go.
Once the cheese sauce has come together, I add the cooked macaroni and stir until each and every piece of macaroni is coated in cheese sauce. I take one last taste to make sure the salt and pepper is perfect before serving. That’s it!
Are you ready to make some simple mac and cheese recipe? Check out the recipe below.
- 4 cups Dry Macaroni
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 lb bag Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste (be generous with the salt)
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions.
- Strain the macaroni and set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, pour heavy cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and salt & pepper.
- Stir the cheese sauce continuously until it comes together in a creamy delicious sauce.
- Adjust salt & pepper to your taste.
- Add cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce.
- Stir to thoroughly coat the macaroni with the cheese sauce.
That’s all there is to it! Can you believe how easy that is?