Tonight is the chili cook-off at church. Everyone brings a ground-beef-with-tomatoes-and-beans-styled chili, it seems. I always have to be different. Tonight, I am bringing a white chicken chili made with cream cheese and cannellini beans. As always, I used a slow cooker to slow simmer all the flavors together.
*Affiliate Links Included
This recipe is so simple that it has become a regular dinner around here. I like being able to toss everything into the slow cooker and forget about it until dinner time.
I always layer the chicken on the bottom to cook closer to the heat. I don’t bother with thawing my chicken breasts beforehand. I just toss them in frozen making this recipe even easier. I layer everything else on top of the chicken for cooking. I use a wooden spoon to break apart the chicken and stir everything together.
Are you ready to make some white chicken chili? Check out the recipe below!
- 6 very large chicken breasts
- 1/4 c diced onions (frozen)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 1 can diced green chiles (4 oz)
- 2 cans cannellini beans - rinsed (15.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 c frozen corn
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 block cream cheese (8 oz)
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 cup water
- Salt & Pepper as desired
- I placed the chicken breasts in the slow cooker then layered all the other ingredients on top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours adjusting cooking times for your appliance.
- Shortly before eating, use a wooden spoon or two forks to break apart or shred the chicken and stir the ingredients well.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste. I added about 1/4 tsp salt and some freshly ground black pepper along with about 1/4 tsp more cayenne.
Oh my goodness! This is so good that I could eat it almost every week. Serve it with some tortilla or corn chips! Yum!
*This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission from clicks or purchases through these links.