I just love these Chicken Tacos because they are so versatile. I like them in hard tacos. My husbands and sons like them as soft tacos. When I have leftovers (a rare occurrence), I can make them into Chicken Quesadillas and freeze them for future lunches (or snacks for my teen boys). It is good on nachos or in salads.
If you’re looking for a Taco Recipe with ground meat, I’ve got that, too.
Affiliate Links are Included. Commissions from purchases through these links help to support this blog. Thank you for reading my blog.
Kitchen Tools Suggested:
Sharp Knife ( for raw meat)
Cutting Board ( for raw meat)
Sharp Knife ( for veggie toppings ) (don’t use same knife as raw meat unless sanitized between uses)
Cutting Board ( for veggie toppings ) (it is NEVER a good idea to use the same cutting boards for raw meats and veggies)
Tongs or Spoons for toppings for guests or family to serve themselves
I like to start by sauteing my onions and bell peppers in a little vegetable oil and seasoning. I love to use Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning blend along with some Chili Powder. The Tony’s seasoning has both salt and spice so I don’t need to add them at this point. My onions and bell peppers are bought already cut and frozen for ease. I add a little seasoning to the onion and bell pepper while they are cooking so the seasoning can cook into the veggies. I like to try to season every step.
Next, my chicken breasts are cut into cubes. The smaller the cubes are cut, the faster the chicken will cook. My chicken breasts were cut into cubes that were roughly about one inch. Once the veggies are softened and the onions are becoming translucent, I add the chicken cubes with more seasoning.
The chicken breasts get cooked with a cover for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I remove the cover and cook the liquid out. Once the liquid is mostly gone, I add the canned green chiles along with a little more seasoning. The whole thing gets cooked uncovered with lots of stirring until the chicken is browned. Once the chicken is fully cooked and nice and browned, I use a wooden spoon to break the cubes apart. I adjust the seasoning to my liking, and serve as desired.
Are you ready to make some Chicken Tacos? Check out the recipe below.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Frozen Chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup Frozen Chopped Bell Peppers
- 2 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning ( or as desired)
- 2 tsp Chili Powder (or as desired)
- 6 Chicken Breasts roughly cubed (about 1 inch cubes) (roughly 4 1/2 lbs)
- 1 can (7oz) Green Chiles
- Salt to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add frozen onions and bell peppers.
- Season veggies with about 1/2 tsp Tony's and 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- Cook until veggies are softened and onions are translucent
- Add cubed chicken breasts to the pot
- Add more seasoning... approximately 1 tsp Tony's and 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Cover the pot and cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pot after 10 minutes to allow the liquid to cook out
- Add 1/2 tsp Tony's and 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Add the canned Green Chiles once most of the liquid is cooked out
- Continue to cook uncovered until the chicken is cook through and lightly browned
- Stir occasionally at this point
- Once the chicken is cooked throughout, adjust seasoning to taste
- Use a wooden spoon to break the cubes apart, shredding the chicken a little
- Serve on taco shells, on taco salads, or on quesadillas
That’s it! It is quite easy and so very good!
Affiliate Links are below.