We just love yams and sweet potatoes! They are a lovely side dish to most meals, but this week, we ate this delectable yam casserole with Chicken and Stuffing also cooked in the slow cooker. I just spent a few minutes tossing everything into the slow cooker, and dinner was waiting on me by evening. You can’t beat that with a stick!
Affiliate Links are Included. Commissions from these links help to support this blog. Thank you!
I did a little research and discovered that this recipe probably isn’t “yams” at all. This is technically a sweet potato recipe. However, I decided to leave the “yam” in the title anyway because my main ingredient was Bruce’s Yams. Who cares what it’s called? Just get in my belly now!
As I said before, I started with Bruce’s canned yams. I strained the water and liquid out and tossed the yams into my slow cooker. I added an egg, half & half, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and salt to the yams in the slow cooker.
I used a hand mixer to blend all the casserole ingredients together. I blended it right in the slow cooker so I didn’t unnecessarily dirty any extra dishes. Once it was blended, I used a spoon to smooth it out.
A yam casserole just isn’t complete without a pecan topping. I tossed pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon together with a fork. I sprinkled the mixture over the casserole evenly. I cut a half stick of butter into pats and laid them over the pecan mixture evenly.
I cooked it in the slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. My whole house smelled like sweet cinnamon Heaven!
Are you ready to make some yam casserole? Check out the recipe below!
- Yam Casserole:
- 1 Can (40 oz) Bruce's Yams - Strained
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1/2 Stick (4 TBSP) Melted Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pecan Topping:
- 1 Cup Pecans (coarsely chopped, if desired)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Stick (4 TBSP) Butter cut into pats
- Strain the canned yams.
- Place yams, egg, half & half, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and salt into the slow cooker.
- Blend them with a hand mixer.
- Smooth the mixture out with a spoon or spatula.
- Make topping by stirring pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl or zipper bag.
- Sprinkle the pecan mixture over the yam casserole in the slow cooker.
- Place pats of butter over the pecan mixture.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.